Australia: Ascot still on beaten Quarterback’s agenda

Royal Ascot grandstand

Royal Ascot still remains the plan for The Quarterback

  PICTURE: Steve Dennis  

Report: Australia, Saturday

Caulfield: VOBIS Gold Sprint (restricted race) 6f, turf, 2yo+

THE Quarterback remains on course for a Royal Ascot visit, despite suffering another defeat on Saturday in the VOBIS Gold Sprint at Caulfield in Melbourne.

Surprise winner of the Newmarket Handicap last month at Flemington, the five-year-old was only fifth next time out at Moonee Valley two weeks later and again failed at Caulfield, coming too late to catch Miss Promiscuity (David Hayes Tom Dabernig/Craig Williams) and finishing only third.

Miss Promiscuity beat Jalan Jalan by three-quarters of a length with The Quarterback sprinting home from well back in the field.

Royal Ascot aim

The Quarterback’s trainer Robbie Griffiths said plans remain to go to the Group 1 Goodwood in Adelaide and then hopefully Royal Ascot. “I was happy with his run,” Griffiths said, speaking to AAP Racing.

“Naturally I would have liked to have won but as I’ve been saying all week, his style of racing is vulnerable around Caulfield and that’s what brought him undone,” added Griffiths. “Jalan Jalan ended up leading, Miss Promiscuity was stalking the lead and we just got too far out of it and couldn’t flow into the race when we needed to.”

The VOBIS Gold Sprint was one of six races at Caulfield restricted to horses nominated to the Victorian Owners and Breeders’ Incentive Scheme. Victory in this A$250,000 (£135,000) contest – not allowed Group status as it is a restricted race – completed a Caulfield treble for Lindsay Park trainers David Hayes and Tom Dabernig after victories in two more VOBIS races. They also had winners in Sydney and Adelaide.

 

var $facebookBlock = $(‘#facebook’);
if ($facebookBlock.length){
$facebookBlock.attr(‘allowTransparency’, true);
}

This entry was posted in Racing News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.